Sponge cake is based on flour (usually wheat flour), butter,SUGAR and eggs, and is sometimes leavened with baking powder.It has a firm yet well-aerated structure, similar to a sea sponge. In the United Kingdom a sponge cake is produced using the batter procedure, I love sponge cake recipe. It’s easy and you can make different cakes with this base. Sponge cake base takes on moisture really well from fruit, liqueurs frostings, and syrups. I’m a sucker for moist cakes.
sponge cake is thought to be one of the first of the non-yeasted cakes, and the earliest attested this cake recipe in English is found in a book by the English poet Gervase Markham, The English Huswife, Containing the Inward and Outward Virtues Which Ought to Be in a Complete Woman (1615).Though it does not appear in Hannah Glasse‘s The Art of Cookery made Plain and Easy (1747) in the late 18th century, it is found in Lydia Maria Child‘s The American Frugal Housewife (1832),indicating that sponge cakes had been established in Grenada in the Caribbean by the early 19th century.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, plus more for pans
- 9 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pans
- Icinf sugar
|Eggs Large White
$1.99 thru 08/08
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- METHOD:- atfirst preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheets. Line bottoms with parchment; butter parchment and flour pans, tapping out excess flour. Whisk together egg yolks and 1 cup granulated sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and thick enough to form a ribbon that dissolves onto itself, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and salt; transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and beat on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold one third of egg whites into yolks, then gently fold in remaining whites. Sift flour over top and gently start to fold in. When nearly all is folded in, pour melted butter down side of bowl and fold just until incorporated and smooth.
- Divide batter among pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes for rounds, or 15 minutes for sheets, rotating and switching racks halfway through. If baking in round pans, immediately invert cake and remove parchment, then reinvert and cool right side up. If using baking sheets and making a rolled cake, immediately invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Dust top of cake with confectioner’s sugar and roll up in towel. Let cool completely, about 1 hour, before unrolling and spreading with filling.